When nervous or stressed people tend to alter their breathing pattern; tactical breathing can counter this, improving performance in games. Tactical breathing, also known as box breathing, helps increase lung function and capacity, but best of all, it helps improve your overall health. In addition, tactical breathing is incredibly simple to learn, and can be done anywhere, at any time.
How to do box breathing:
– Step 1: Locate a quiet, comfortable place and try your best to relax.
– Step 2: Inhale through your nose for four seconds.
– Step 3: Hold the air in your lunges for four seconds.
– Step 4: Exhale through your mouth for four seconds.
– Step 5: Hold for four seconds with no air in your lungs.
– Step 6: Repeat.
How to use a tactical breath in game:
– Step 1: Take in a deep breath through your nose.
– Step 2: Hold for one second.
– Step 3: Quickly exhale through your mouth.
Practicing both of these techniques on a regular basis will help you use them when you find yourself in a time under stress. Just like your jump shot or skills that you rep out, this too needs repetition.